Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Prepared Adult: Practical Resources

The past few weeks I've been trying to work through the different aspects of an ideal Montessori environment. These aspects include the prepared environment, freedom with responsibility and the prepared adult. I talked about the role of Guide a few months ago and it fits in really well here: 

We have the power to create an excellent environment in which children learn spontaneously. One in which they find joy in work.  Where they challenge themselves and check their work and find answers to questions- all on their own.

Being a guide means providing an environment in which children are free to learn. Free to move. Free to gravitate towards what inspires them.  Most days that means making sure the tables are clean and the trays are out. It means materials showing up after an interest was observed. It means intentionally observing your kids work and adjusting accordingly. 


How do we become prepared adults? Especially in a home environment? A few weeks ago I talked about how hard this all is and received a ton of feedback that many of you felt the same way. I think today I'll just share some of my resources that I go to frequently, especially the books and blogs, and I hope that you find them helpful in preparation for your kiddos. 



Books 
(I have read or are currently reading these)

The Absorbent Mind by Maria Montessori
The Discovery of the Child by Maria Montessori
Montessori in Contemporary American Culture by Loeffler
Basic Montessori by David Gettman

Montessori Madness by Travor Eissler
Montessori Today by Paula Polk Lillard
Teach me to Do it Myself by Maja Pitamic
Project Based Homeschooling by Pickert (not Montessori but many early elementary principles fit nicely here)

Nurture Shock by Po Bronson
Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax
Connected Child by Purvis (written for adoptive and foster parents but a wonderful resource for positive parenting)
Simplicity Parenting, Payne 

Manuals
I spent a lot of years going through free things online and I found that as soon as I had a few manuals in my hand, it made things so much easier. If you are considering doing this for real, they are worth the investment. I included a few different ones but I own the ones from Karen Tyler. 

Karen Tyler, KHT Montessori
Montessori Print Shop Teaching Manuals
Montessori at Home ebook (great reference if you are not sure- I started with this one)
Keys of the Universe (elementary- I will be working through these starting next January)



Blogs
Do you have one to share? Let me know in the comments!! 


Materials
Nothing here is sponsored. I included them because I have made purchases and was pleased with the service and quality.  


Thrift Stores, Dollar Tree, Target, Library



No comments:

Post a Comment