Monday, September 17, 2012

Practical Life Activities- Day 1 Folding


Any daily activity you isolate into a learning experience for your child is a Practical Life activity
-John Bowmen (Montessori at Home)


One of the first things that drew me into the Montessori method of teaching was the emphasis on practical life activities. Somehow I tend to steer away from the simple and get lost in a barrage of new and exciting activities.  I thought that this week would be a great way to stop and take our time through some of the most common activities.


Folding is a great starting point because you don't really need anything special. Some dish towels, a tray and a place on the shelf to put it.



Introduce by:
-taking the tray down
-taking out a towel
-fold into quarters
-put it back.  



 2 1/2 and up is a great time to start. Littler ones will have fun exploring the towels and learning how to place them back in the right spot.


When they seem to have the concept down and are ready for something more you can introduce folding actual clothes (that's the whole point right?):


And it always helps to have a Montessori friendly room to put everything. Here is my sons closet (a re-purposed toy shelf)



Come back tomorrow for Day 2- Pouring

Linked up this week:
Montessori Monday

5 comments:

  1. Folding is such a wonderfully calming activity to engage children in alongside you—and, as you have shared, a big help when they have mastered folding their own laundry! You have gotten your children off to a strong Montessori beginning! ~heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so many people say that it's too much work to teach them but I think it's a huge help and totally worth the time! It's also great to see the pride in their work.

      Delete
  2. Cute pictures! :) Even my LO helps me with lots of daily chores like laundry, unloading dishwasher etc. I had posted about my 2.5 yr old helping me fold dish towels. I dug the posts to find it.. :)

    http://www.scribbalicious.com/2-to-3-years/our-toddler-helping-around-the-house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your post! I enjoyed reading through it.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful activities for a Montessori-friendly home, Lauren! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page and pinned your closet photo to my Montessori-Friendly Home Board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/montessori-friendly-home/

    ReplyDelete